N is for Naked Writing
“In writing, when you are truly on, there’s no writer, no paper, no pen, no thoughts. Only writing does writing –everything else is gone.” –Natalie Goldberg
No, I’m not talking about writing in the nude. But if you want to, I’m not stopping you. Just don’t tell me about it! :P
What I’m talking about is letting down all of your walls, forgetting rules, and writing from your heart, your soul. That is naked writing, because nothing is holding you back or restricting your ideas, thoughts or creativity process.
How can you write like this?
Well, there isn’t a real solution. Some people can sit at their computer, mentally strip everything away, and write from their core. Others may need a little help getting into this zone.
You could try these techniques:
· Meditate for 30 minutes before you begin writing. (Even ten minutes of quite time can help.)
· Turn on moving music. This could be classical music or songs with lyrics that fill you with emotion, like Only Time by Enya.
· Don’t edit while you write. This is something I do, but this can stop the flow of words and hinder your creativity process. Just keep writing! Don’t worry about it being perfect.
· Write whatever comes to your mind. Don’t filter your words. You can cut out all the crap later, but you may be surprised at the gems you’ll find in your unrestricted writing.
· Pretend you are writing in a journal. This technique can help you to write freely and not hold back.
· (Thank you to Donna for reminding me about this technique.) Try training your eyes on something other than the page, such as a pretty picture or out a window, and let your hand flow across the page with your thoughts.
Now what are you waiting for? Try these strategies immediately, and let me know how they work. :)
SHARE: Your tips for writing from your core.
QUESTION: How do you get into a writing zone?
A to Z Blogging Challenge: